"The Christians met on the way many people who were going to their towns, women and men, with a firebrand in the hand, and certain weeds whose smoke they inhale which are dry weeds stuffed into a certain dry leaf in the form of a muset made of paper, like the ones the children make on the day of the Holy Ghost; and burning a part of it, from the other part they suck or absorb or admit the smoke with breathing." -Christopher Columbus, from his Navigation diary

Main Menu

Anybody else a history buff?

Started by Bob Cordell, 03/10/2008 08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Cordell

I've had several different topics throughout the years that I have been interested in such as World War II, the Vietnam war, Mafia history and Rock and Roll history.

I think I'm most interested in Roman history, I'm reading a book titled "The 12 Caesars" now. I find the history of Rome totally fascinating. I love the documentaries on such channels as Discovery and History channel. I loved the HBO series "ROME", did anybody else watch it? Yeah it was fictional but the basic story of Julius Caesar, Mark Antony and Augustus were fairly accurate.

Is there a particular topic that interests you?
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

Bob Cordell

Well that fell on deaf ears didn't it....

Ok, maybe I should have asked about the biggest fish you've caught, or your favorite whore, or that putt you drained...

I bet I get some responses now, skull-fux!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

qman22

I like the history channel, especially when they have weird s**t on there like the Bible code, Mayan calendar, Book of Revelations....etc.....

I was too drunk to remember the biggest fish I caught, but I def. remember my fav whore......  :thumbsup:
Lets GOOOOOOOO Mountaineers!

Bob Cordell

So, you werent  too drunk to remember the biggest whore you caught also? Tell us about that!

Mine involved a blind internet date, a fat girl, and a grocery store parking lot and the police!

Ha, thats a story for another time....

emind56

I'm definitly into history.  More into the philsophy and the history of thought, than of world history exactley.  Though, it is hard to seperate one from the other.

ljlemer

QuoteBob Cordell - 3/10/2008  9:59 PM

I've had several different topics throughout the years that I have been interested in such as World War II, the Vietnam war, Mafia history and Rock and Roll history.

I think I'm most interested in Roman history, I'm reading a book titled "The 12 Caesars" now. I find the history of Rome totally fascinating. I love the documentaries on such channels as Discovery and History channel. I loved the HBO series "ROME", did anybody else watch it? Yeah it was fictional but the basic story of Julius Caesar, Mark Antony and Augustus were fairly accurate.

Is there a particular topic that interests you?

I'm interested in the science of history. What gets recorded and what is ignored. Who is considered central to the plot and who is marginal. Who writes it, who remembers it. What is forgotten and why and how to recreate it. Any history we are exposed to is such a small part of the bigger picture of what was really going on in whatever time. I guess you can call it "alternate history". What was left out by whom and why.

Why should history be about the men who competed to lead a country, be it Rome or the US? Isn't the US much more than a list of Presidents and wars? I want to know about the things that were thought to be irrelevant: the poor, women, other ethnic and racial groups, slaves, enemies, etc. It's amazing how every narrative focuses on one group and excludes the rest. How can we see the big picture?

All cultures build heroes who are mythified and whitewashed. We wind up telling tales of great leaders and founders and calling that history. Yes, I'm a history buff. I recommend you read  "Lies My Teacher Told Me" by James W. Loewen. REALLY.

I'm more interested in all the peoples who were conquered by the Romans and whose languages and cultures went extinct. Often little is known. Why? Because the history of that time was written by the Romans and they didn't give a flying figurado about other people and cultures. Others were barbarians. Others. We all have outsiders we lump under 'others' and treat or think of poorly.

I'm the same way with languages. I love studying them, but I have to dig deeper into the science of language, linguistics.

I could bore you all to sleep with my interests. That's why I'm reluctant to go off topic.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

qman22

QuoteBob Cordell - 3/11/2008  12:36 AM

So, you werent  too drunk to remember the biggest whore you caught also? Tell us about that!

Mine involved a blind internet date, a fat girl, and a grocery store parking lot and the police!

Ha, thats a story for another time....

my favorite whore was definitely my ex girlfriend
Lets GOOOOOOOO Mountaineers!

Duker511

I come from a mixed family rich in forgotten or not commonly taught history. I am personally interested in Native American and Mexican American history. Some people  would be surprised how much of our nations history is skipped in our schools history books. I just got done reading a book called Blood and Thunder, by Hampton Sides which is one in a line of "real" American west documentarys. Dont get me wrong, I think what is taught is an accurate account of our history, just a little one sided. I really hope I didnt just open a can of woop ass for myself but this is one of my interests.
Tim

emind56

QuoteDuker511 - 3/11/2008  7:45 AM

I come from a mixed family rich in forgotten or not commonly taught history. I am personally interested in Native American and Mexican American history. Some people  would be surprised how much of our nations history is skipped in our schools history books. I just got done reading a book called Blood and Thunder, by Hampton Sides which is one in a line of "real" American west documentarys. Dont get me wrong, I think what is taught is an accurate account of our history, just a little one sided. I really hope I didnt just open a can of woop ass for myself but this is one of my interests.

Check out a book called Since Predator Came....I think you'll like it alot

Wapster

I watched both seasons of Rome in their entirety in a few days from the box sets.  What an entertaining series.

:offtopic: watched all of a few seasons of Boston Legal too - HAHAHA! One cool show.

I am a native of southern Az, and am how amazed  how many hispanics get the history of this part of the country so warped.  This area was purchased from Santa Ana, and the southern border goes to Yuma for strategic reasons.  Santa Ana wanted to preserve a a land route from Baja to the rest of Mexico.  You can read that we "stole it" from Mexico,  and that the border is sloped North because of an error in surveying or because the surveyers ran out of tequila.  I grew up on the border when it was not a war zone, and was safe for gringos like me to run around on.  Now this entire area is trashed, and history is being revised to fit the needs of immigration activists.  Be careful which authors you read.  Always consider their perspective, and their target audience.

:cigarguy:
Kill 'em all! Let God sort 'em out!

ljlemer

QuoteWapster - 3/11/2008  10:15 PM

I watched both seasons of Rome in their entirety in a few days from the box sets.  What an entertaining series.

:offtopic: watched all of a few seasons of Boston Legal too - HAHAHA! One cool show.

I am a native of southern Az, and am how amazed  how many hispanics get the history of this part of the country so warped.  This area was purchased from Santa Ana, and the southern border goes to Yuma for strategic reasons.  Santa Ana wanted to preserve a a land route from Baja to the rest of Mexico.  You can read that we "stole it" from Mexico,  and that the border is sloped North because of an error in surveying or because the surveyers ran out of tequila.  I grew up on the border when it was not a war zone, and was safe for gringos like me to run around on.  Now this entire area is trashed, and history is being revised to fit the needs of immigration activists.  Be careful which authors you read.  Always consider their perspective, and their target audience.

:cigarguy:

Your version sounds as self-serving as the Mexicans'. Reminds me of the two versions circulating in the Middle East of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. I lived in Israel for 11 years and heard both sides. Both whitewash themselves and demonize the other side. History is like that. Nowadays they call it "spin". Freud called it "splitting". No hard feelings, I hope, for speaking candidly.

Thomas Mann

Wapster

Call it what you want. It was then called the Gadsden Purchase.  In 1883 the U.S. paid Mexico $10,000,000 for approximately 30000 square miles.  This gave the U.S. a southern railroad route to the west coast, and gave General Santa Anna money Mexico sorely needed.  However Santa Anna largely squandered the money, and was eventually exiled.  Keeping the land route above the Gulf of California was in Santa Ana's favor not mine, so I don't see how the accurate version is "self serving".   At the time the U.S. could have annexed the entire country of Mexico, but did not want uneducated Catholics.  

I can assure you that from Florida you can have no clue about our current problems on the Arizona/Mexico border.  I would gladly give guided tours to show you the extent of the damage, and the inept attempt of the federal government to pretend to do anything about it.    

I don't live in the city and get my research from the paper.  From my office I can see Mexico.  I live and work down south, and spend weekends hunting, shooting, and 4 wheeling in the absolutely trashed desert washes.   I have had smugglers try to get in my truck in the middle of the night because they thought I was their ride.  I find large and small groups of illegals often. Sometimes I turn them in.  Usually I ignore them.  Often I give them water and a granolla bar and just hope they will get caught and deported soon.  I think I'll invite emind56 down for a desert cruise to see the places I frequent.  

I do smoke a Te Amo now and then.  

Adios,
Wapster   :shotgun: :cigarguy:

Duker511

This is what I meant by opening a can of woop ass on myself. I just backspaced about six paragraphs, its not worth it to argue. Im more interested in North of the border. Alot of people died taking hold of the South West, and money had little to do with it. It was americans belief through James Polks Manifest Destiny that the west must be taken at all costs.

About the "be careful which authors to read" I assure you that you dont have to tell me that. Blood and thunder is a critically acclaimed book written from the diarys and notes of people that were there. There are Southwestern native tribes that have brought up making it part of their schools curriculum. There are alot of misleading books out there, that was my point in my first post. By the way, I am not Mexican.
Tim

Wapst3r

Did not want to leave the wrong impression.  I have no problem with Mexicans.  It is illegal aliens that are destroying our area.  The "Kill 'em All Let God Sort 'em Out!" was a saying we had in the 82nd Airborne and is at the end of all of my posts - nothing to do with the current discussion.

You are correct - manifest destiny was the doctrine that drove our expansion west, but we bought the area south of the Gila river.  The money looked real good to Mexico after fighting us for the other parts of the southwest.

:usa:

NewGuy

I'm really into natural history from bugs to big stuff. While chasing lizards across AZ desert I learned that Mormons owned so much of the West at one time the gov't made them sell it back to the gov't and limited land holding to small quantities, all the while enforcing anti polygamy laws with incarceration.

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

Sticks

I love history, science and anything interesting and maybe a bit off the wall. The main thing in life is to never stop learning. Whether it.s the history of cigars, which is very interesting in itself or American or world history, once you stop learning you stop growning within.  My one nickle's worth cuz two cents ain't cutting it anymore.  :shades:

NewGuy

:lmao: You're funny Sticks! I agree with your life long learning perspective.

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

ljlemer

QuoteNewGuy - 3/12/2008  7:28 PM

I'm really into natural history from bugs to big stuff. While chasing lizards across AZ desert I learned that Mormons owned so much of the West at one time the gov't made them sell it back to the gov't and limited land holding to small quantities, all the while enforcing anti polygamy laws with incarceration.

Rack

Lizards are one of my passions. I own a chameleon, an iguana, a bearded dragon, a leopard gecko and a uromastyx. In the past I've had many more.

Thomas Mann

ljlemer

QuoteWapster - 3/12/2008  2:16 AM

Call it what you want. It was then called the Gadsden Purchase.  In 1883 the U.S. paid Mexico $10,000,000 for approximately 30000 square miles.  This gave the U.S. a southern railroad route to the west coast, and gave General Santa Anna money Mexico sorely needed.  However Santa Anna largely squandered the money, and was eventually exiled.  Keeping the land route above the Gulf of California was in Santa Ana's favor not mine, so I don't see how the accurate version is "self serving".   At the time the U.S. could have annexed the entire country of Mexico, but did not want uneducated Catholics.  

I can assure you that from Florida you can have no clue about our current problems on the Arizona/Mexico border.  I would gladly give guided tours to show you the extent of the damage, and the inept attempt of the federal government to pretend to do anything about it.    

I don't live in the city and get my research from the paper.  From my office I can see Mexico.  I live and work down south, and spend weekends hunting, shooting, and 4 wheeling in the absolutely trashed desert washes.   I have had smugglers try to get in my truck in the middle of the night because they thought I was their ride.  I find large and small groups of illegals often. Sometimes I turn them in.  Usually I ignore them.  Often I give them water and a granolla bar and just hope they will get caught and deported soon.  I think I'll invite emind56 down for a desert cruise to see the places I frequent.  

I do smoke a Te Amo now and then.  
Adios,
Wapster   :shotgun: :cigarguy:

By self-serving I didn't mean you personally. Nations thrive on myths, semi-truths and their own spin of their history. The truth, to the extent that it can be determined and agreed upon, is usually more complex. As for our current problems with illegal aliens flowing from the Mexican border, that is not related to the border disputes of two centuries ago. If our border were different, they'd still be trying to get in. Being right smack in the middle of a problem can result in your missing the big picture, for which you need to step back and observe from a distance. I agree with you that our country desperately needs to gain full control of its borders and who enters. How that is accomplished is a debatable policy issue, but it can't be done without throwing a lot of money at it. I hope we have the courage and discipline to pay for it out of pocket and not by borrowing, which means raising taxes.

Thomas Mann

NewGuy

Quoteljlemer - 3/13/2008  6:04 AM

QuoteNewGuy - 3/12/2008  7:28 PM

Rack

Lizards are one of my passions. I own a chameleon, an iguana, a bearded dragon, a leopard gecko and a uromastyx. In the past I've had many more.

I like'm too Larry. I've had monitors, anoles, swifts, amievas and skinks in addition to your list and some others. The poison dart frogs were the most interesting of my life long herptile experience.

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

ljlemer

QuoteNewGuy - 3/13/2008  7:29 AM

I like'm too Larry. I've had monitors, anoles, swifts, amievas and skinks in addition to your list and some others. The poison dart frogs were the most interesting of my life long herptile experience.

Rack[/QUOTE]

My baby alligator and baby dwarf caiman were pretty cool. My snapping turtles were too. Getting married required a shift to safer pets.

Thomas Mann

NewGuy

Neat stuff. The only captives I have now are a Boxer and A Chesapeake Bay Retriever.

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

ljlemer

QuoteNewGuy - 3/13/2008  8:44 PM

Neat stuff. The only captives I have now are a Boxer and A Chesapeake Bay Retriever.

Rack

We also have a cockapoo and a maltese.

Thomas Mann

Wapster

I have a bull snake (also called a gopher snake), a green rat snake (the kind only found in a couple of mountain ranges in southern Az).  I put a lizard in with the rat snake a couple of days ago.  I am not sure if he has been eaten yet.  I caught both snakes and the lizard.

I also have a 150 gallon aquarium full of African and South American cichlids , and another 20 gallon aquarium full of just water at the moment.

One chihuahua named Jazz keeps us entertained on the floor.

Aren't critters a gas?

:biggrin:   I smoke with my dog on the back porch.

ljlemer

QuoteWapster - 3/14/2008  1:51 AM

I have a bull snake (also called a gopher snake), a green rat snake (the kind only found in a couple of mountain ranges in southern Az).  I put a lizard in with the rat snake a couple of days ago.  I am not sure if he has been eaten yet.  I caught both snakes and the lizard.

I also have a 150 gallon aquarium full of African and South American cichlids , and another 20 gallon aquarium full of just water at the moment.

One chihuahua named Jazz keeps us entertained on the floor.

Aren't critters a gas?

:biggrin:   I smoke with my dog on the back porch.

What kind of lizard? I love ball pythons, but it seems women in particular are terrified of them, actually all snakes.

Thomas Mann

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.