Anybody else a history buff?

Started by Bob Cordell, 03/10/2008 08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wapster

I'm not a lizard expert, but I have a cool picture of the same kind taken by an astronomer I know.  I'll send a pic' from work tomorrow if it is possible.  It's a pretty good shot of two of their heads.  We also get skinks up there.  BTW I took some great shots of a gila monster I came across recently.  They are the only venomous lizard on our continent.  I'll send one of them too.

:smoker:
Kill 'em all! Let God sort 'em out!

Duker511

I have two snakes and a big monitor that I am trying to post pictures, however they are in my broken camera, It wont download into computer. Pics of my dogs are posted though. I hope to have a new camera soon. My monitor is almost 5 feet long, and friendly. My snakes are 9-11 feet, they are Burmese pythons.
Tim

NewGuy

My largest monitor was 3ft savannah - pretty large for the husky breed. It bit a girls arm once, not pretty  :-0 , She and her husband owned a 13 ft Burmese Python named Squeeze!

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

Duker511

My Savanna is almost five feet long from his nose to the tip of his tail, I havent seen to many bigger. I use ultra violet B and Vita-lite bulbs, and when he was young I would inject his food with vitamins once a month to keep him growing good. He also has a large encloser, and roams around a large room for most of the day. Ive always handled him alot, and he is almost always around people. He has always been a good eater, he eats 3-6 mice or weaned rats a week, also some crickets(he likes to chase them),and the occational moth or other bug that I catch. Also fresh chicken eggs. They usually live 11-15 years, but hes pushing 20 and still kicking.
Tim

NewGuy

That's great pet profile Tim. Congrats on the excellent husbandry required to keep a monitor in captivity so long  :bigthumbs:

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

ljlemer

QuoteDuker511 - 3/14/2008  7:55 PM

My Savanna is almost five feet long from his nose to the tip of his tail, I havent seen to many bigger. I use ultra violet B and Vita-lite bulbs, and when he was young I would inject his food with vitamins once a month to keep him growing good. He also has a large encloser, and roams around a large room for most of the day. Ive always handled him alot, and he is almost always around people. He has always been a good eater, he eats 3-6 mice or weaned rats a week, also some crickets(he likes to chase them),and the occational moth or other bug that I catch. Also fresh chicken eggs. They usually live 11-15 years, but hes pushing 20 and still kicking.

I've always had to give my carnivores away when they grew more than a foot and a half, say. "We have children". Now I can only have insectivores and vegetarians. I went to a Reptile and Alternative Pet Show today and they had a $3000 sloth for sale. Beautiful creature. They also sell marmosets and other small primates and wild cats. Always in the same multi-thousand dollar price range. I just bought pet food, bugs and a heater. At one time she said I'd have to get rid of my iguana when he got too big, but I have a much bigger cage now and he ain't moving. He's about two feet from head to tail.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

Duker511

Over the years it has become harder to feed Spike(monitor) live animals. I have become softer over the years and I feel bad for the rodents, but he has to eat. I tried feeding him already dead mice,like he would eat in the wild, but he wont eat them unless hes really hungary. Now I just throw them in and leave the room. I wont ever have another animal that eats live prey. My snakes eat large rabbits that come from my vet.dead and frozen. Im lucky enough that my local vet has a sancuary for unwanted reptiles so, him and I have had a long relationship. I understand why you cant have large carnivorous reptiles around your children,they are unpredictable. When I say my monitor is "friendly" I mean for a 5 foot carnivorous lizard he is hand tame, not humping your leg. As far as iguanas, they are pretty docile and very tameable and sometimes get a bad rap because of their size and prehistoric look. Im glad you put your foot down on getting rid of your iguana because they do get attached to their owners the same as a dog.(although they dont always show it.)
Tim

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.