Round Robin IV, Winter 2011

Started by DonM, 12/31/2010 04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonM

"The Curmudgeon"

DonM

Thanks everyone for participating and I hope that you enjoyed the cigars.   This pass is officially closed.   Ken is the winner of this Round Robin pass, congratulations Ken, you prize will be out in the mail shortly

"The Curmudgeon"

Ken Kelley

Is good to win! Thank you, thank you!
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

nwb

Congrats Ken!  Thanks for the contest Don.
Chief of Shaft

87North

Quotenwb - 4/26/2011  7:20 AM

Congrats Ken!  Thanks for the contest Don.

Couldn't have said it better if I'd tried...

Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

whodeeni

QuoteDonM - 2/27/2011  8:50 AMOk, so I finished the third one this morning, here goes:Cigar A This cigar is well made with a medium brown wrapper, nicely done cap.  The wrapper had very small veins visible.  The predraw revealed an easy only slightly restricted draw.  In the 1/3, it came on with a medium full flavor with some pepper in the beginning.  The flavors developed into some earth and a hint of cedar which leads me to believe this is a blended cigar with DOM/NIC/HON tobaccos maybe.  In the 2/3 the flavors developed some becoming more rich and in the 3/3 we slightly stronger.  The draw was perfect all of the way through with lots of smoke, the burn was perfect as well.  Overall, a respectable cigar but by the flavor, I couldn't help but think this was an average mid priced cigarCigar BThis is a pretty rugged cigar in appearance, med brown wrapper, displaying some lumpy bumpy veins.  In cutting it revealed a few good sized veins in the binder.  The pre draw was slightly restricted as was the draw throughout smoking.In lighting, I got some peppery spice flavors and slightly harsh at first, mellowing some as I got into the last 1/3.  I picked up on some cedar in the 2/3 with a woody grassy flavor. The burn was not perfect, but did not require any touch ups.  The ash was light gray and slightly flaky.  More medium in strength in the 2/3, and built in flavor in the 3/3.  While the flavors were not bad, I couldn't help but come to the conclusion that this was not a premium cigar and more the lower end of the price range.  I am guessing that it had some DOM in it with the cedar flavors  Cigar CThis cigar had the best presentation of the 3 for the blind reviews with a maduro wrapper and only minimal veins, very well constructed and smooth.  After getting a clean straight cut, and toasting the foot I got a great draw from this cigar with a ton of smoke.  From the start I got some leathery maduro flavors medium full in strength right from the very beginning.  From there I picked up on some espresso and a hint of mocha.  While the flavors did not transition much, they were rich all of the way through.  In the end the flavors got even bolder to near full bodied.  The burn was razor straight all of the way through,  I would definitely smoke this one again.After considering all 3 cigars, I am pretty confident that I have not smoked any of them and have no clue at all what they were.  So I am going to at least give a run at the rankings:Cigar A- MiddleCigar B- LowCigar C -HighNow Excel can embarrass me and let me know how I did

Don you get 1 pt for knowing the order of the cigars as far as price
goes. #1 was a Los Imperialistas Robusto (Nic Puro)  no. 2 was a "OneOff" (OR) Seoanes (Petit Corona)  #3 was a La Herencia Cubana Oscuro Fuerte Robusto!
If smoking cigars is on the Darkside, I don't ever
want to see the light!!!

DonM

See you did embarass me!  All in fun, thanks for the scores

"The Curmudgeon"

nwb

QuoteDonM - 4/26/2011  5:50 PM

See you did embarass me!  All in fun, thanks for the scores

I wouldn't feel too bad.  That Los Imperialistas is pretty much exclusive to the Atlanta area.
Chief of Shaft

whodeeni

Even though I didn't win i'd like to know my score and what the two cigars were
that I smoked and reviewed! :)
want to see the light!!!

87North

Quotewhodeeni - 4/28/2011  7:31 AM

Even though I didn't win i'd like to know my score and what the two cigars were
that I smoked and reviewed! :)

Sure...

The first torpedo you smoked was a Padilla Habano Torpedo and was the mid range smoke.  The second big toro you had was a Cohiba Black Supremo on the top end.  I won't tell you what the third is till you smoke it and tell me what you though.  You don't have to review it, just tell me if you liked it was ambivalent, or hated it.:biggrin:
    You get a point for identifying the med. priced stick, and you guessed that it was a man o' war, but while blended by the same guy was a different stick.  I don't know if this scores as a blender identification so I'd have to get a ruling from Don on that.  So best, I can tell, you've got 1 to 2 points at the moment.    :confused:

whodeeni

somehow i misplaced/smoked unknowingly the 3rd stick! *smh*
want to see the light!!!

87North

Quotewhodeeni - 4/29/2011  6:57 PM

somehow i misplaced/smoked unknowingly the 3rd stick! *smh*

If you smoked it, it must not have been very memorable.  It was the unbanded 48 ring robusto.  VS 10th Anniversario.   :lmao:

Jackal

There are some reviews still not in.  :hypno:

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

BlackIrish

I'm so lame.  

Took notes while smoking but never wrote them up.  Here they come.
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

BlackIrish

Cigar #1 from Mr Cordell

This robusto has a nice dark wrapper with a triple cap.  It feels great - solid, but with a nice give.   It clips cleanly, offering a perfect draw, with just a little tug.  The taste is dark, earthy, with a little bit of sweet.  

It burns very straight, with a great strong ash, tons of smoke.  

The flavors are dark and rich, with no pepperiness.  There's some pleasant bitterness, like espresso, and a clean finish that hints of chocolate.  The flavors stay pretty consistent throughout.  It's super smooth, soft, round, with rich cocoa.

It's a high quality smoke, and the Nicaraguan-y flavors and triple cap suggests that it's a Pepin, even though it didn't have the peppery start.  I'd guess it's a San Cristobal, perhaps a Series JJ maduro.
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

BlackIrish

Cordell #2 is a torpedo with a long tapered head, a colorado wrapper, and a slight box press.  The roll and feel are good, and so is the draw.  

There's pepper at the start, but there's more than that.  There's also an underlying richness.  I wonder whether it's a DPG blue.  But it's got that slight box press, and I don't think the DPG blues have that.

The pepper recedes, and the richness emergers.  It's rich, and round,  The ash is noteworthy, strong and compact, and the burn line is very good.  

As the smoke progresses I get notes of wood, cedar in particular. It gets smooth, round, more mellow.  The finish becomes less dry, less tannic, replaced by some nuttiness.  Almonds, maybe?

I'm not sure about this one.  The smooth richness made me wonder whether it might by an RyJ Reserva Real, but it seemed a little spicy at the start for that. Perhaps a Padilla Achilles torpedo?  or possibly a La Perla Habana?
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

BlackIrish

Cordell #3 is a robusto with a dark maduro wrapper, very smooth, with an oily sheen.  The aroma from the foot is dark tobacco.

It slices well - nice cap.  The draw is excellent.  The light is effortless, the flavors dark sweet maduro, with no pepper at the beginning.

It continues with a great maduro profile, smooth, dark, sweetish, full bodied.  The burn is pretty good, with some wobbles, a small V, and a little bit of running, but it evens out.  The ash is quite white, though it could be a little tighter.  

Not sure about this one either.  I thought it could be a Padron, but the wrapper seems too smooth for that.  A CAO Brazil, maybe?  Or a Torano Virtuoso?

All in all, I got three great cigars from Bob.  Thank you, sir.  Now please tell me what I smoked.
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

DonM

Thanks for the reviews Eddie.  Hopefully Bob will come back quickly with some results for you!

"The Curmudgeon"

BlackIrish

QuoteBlackIrish - 5/6/2011  10:45 PM

Cordell #2 is a torpedo with a long tapered head, a colorado wrapper, and a slight box press.  The roll and feel are good, and so is the draw.  

There's pepper at the start, but there's more than that.  There's also an underlying richness.  I wonder whether it's a DPG blue.  But it's got that slight box press, and I don't think the DPG blues have that.

The pepper recedes, and the richness emergers.  It's rich, and round,  The ash is noteworthy, strong and compact, and the burn line is very good.  

As the smoke progresses I get notes of wood, cedar in particular. It gets smooth, round, more mellow.  The finish becomes less dry, less tannic, replaced by some nuttiness.  Almonds, maybe?

I'm not sure about this one.  The smooth richness made me wonder whether it might by an RyJ Reserva Real, but it seemed a little spicy at the start for that. Perhaps a Padilla Achilles torpedo?  or possibly a La Perla Habana?

Actually, I think that this was actually a 5 Vegas Classic.  Am I right, Bob?
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

Jackal

Bob still has one left to review from me.

:hypno:

gitfiddl

QuoteJackal - 5/20/2011  11:38 AM

Who's Bob? :confused:
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Ken Kelley

Quotegitfiddl - 5/20/2011  11:49 AM

QuoteJackal - 5/20/2011  11:38 AM

He's the guy mit der rottenweiner.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

nwb

Quotegitfiddl - 5/20/2011  11:49 AM

He's a mythical creature, one that is always chasing tail in a drunken stupor....
Chief of Shaft

Jackal

Bob, how goes the progress towards smoking cigar #3?

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.