Car Cigar Lighters

Started by Astronaut318i, 03/30/2008 08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Astronaut318i

Just curious about this...has anyone used their car's cigarette light to light up a cigar? Are they any effective? Do they add any weird flavors?

Does anyone's car have one anymore?

Turboknat

You know, I have always wondered the same question.  And, my cars don't have one.  I wonder if they are big enough, or what?

Astronaut318i

I think mine could probably do a robusto...but anything above a 50 ring gauge might be too big.

Turboknat

Well, heck, you have a lighter, try it out and let us know.  I am really curious now.

Astronaut318i

Well, since I'm all for taking for the team...my next cigar will be lit via car cigarette lighter.

Turboknat

We may be embarking on a whole new way of lighting a cigar.  Heck, a whole new way of life.  This is it, the final frontier!  We will never be a part of any grander experiment than....smack :hityou: ....whew, thanks.  Got carried away.  Um, we shall await the results.

Astronaut318i

I think it could be a new way of life. Imagine a method of lighting your cigar that was totally immune from the wind. No more lighting match after match, or flicking the lighter over and over. As long as your car is running...you're just an instant away from a lit stogie.

Turboknat

It could redesign the automobile industry as we know it today.

Astronaut318i

Yeah, I hope its not too much work to convert those power jacks for mp3 players into cigar lighters.

Turboknat

Mp3 players are just a fad, they will never last.  Don't worry, stay focused.

mhuss

QuoteAstronaut318i - 3/30/2008  9:38 PM
I think mine could probably do a robusto...but anything above a 50 ring gauge might be too big.

I think that would be the case for most folks.  Those car lighters seem to be a standard size, and probably would only be useful for a robusto and smaller.  If you have a ring gauge chart at home, you can go out, get your car lighter, come back in and measure the guage of the lighter to see what sizes would fit.  I'm certainly curious about it now.  I wonder if it would impart any off-flavors to the smoke.  Let us know what you find out.

Astronaut318i

I would've done it today, but there was a mini blizzard. So it looks like tomorrow afternoon is going to be the big day. I think the cigar is going to be a Punch Rare Corojo, as I've had them lit via match and bic, so I have a pretty good grasp on the flavor.

My guess is going to be that MAYBE there will be a small metallic tang to it initially, which will fade within the first 1/3.

Afraid I dont have a ring gauge chart though.

NewGuy

I enjoy field science! Empiricism rules  :rocker:

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

Bob Cordell

Every time I used a car lighter on a cigarette I noticed a metallic taste to it. There was always tobacco stuck to the lighter that took a second or two to burn off. I'm not sure this experiment will work, with a cigar I'm thinking alot of tobacco will stick to the lighter and catch your car on fire or at least smoke up the inside so bad you might hit a light pole....
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

NewGuy

Bob is correct here. Def. wear safety goggles in the lab :shades:

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

Turboknat

QuoteAstronaut318i - 3/31/2008  8:55 PM

I would've done it today, but there was a mini blizzard. So it looks like tomorrow afternoon is going to be the big day. I think the cigar is going to be a Punch Rare Corojo, as I've had them lit via match and bic, so I have a pretty good grasp on the flavor.

My guess is going to be that MAYBE there will be a small metallic tang to it initially, which will fade within the first 1/3.

Afraid I dont have a ring gauge chart though.

You know, since there is no fuel actually used to keep a flame, there may not actually be any flavor imparted from lighting, unless you burn the tobacco badly instead of a normal lighting result.  BE CAREFUL, wear safety glasses, and ear protection.  This is a scientific expreriment, you know.

Turboknat

QuoteBob Cordell - 3/31/2008  10:28 PM

Every time I used a car lighter on a cigarette I noticed a metallic taste to it. There was always tobacco stuck to the lighter that took a second or two to burn off. I'm not sure this experiment will work, with a cigar I'm thinking alot of tobacco will stick to the lighter and catch your car on fire or at least smoke up the inside so bad you might hit a light pole....

Yes, so hard hats are in order, too.

emind56

I use the lighter in my truck to light cigars all the time....has to be corona or smaller to get a good light.  Never noticed any weird flavor imparted to the cigar.  FWIW

Astronaut318i

Hard hat, saftey goggles, lab coat, gloves, parental supervision, holy water, band aids...check.

I wont be driving when I use the car cigar lighter, as its technically not "my" car...I'll just be using the car lighter to ignite the stick.

As an additional safety precaution...I wont all day and will smoke another Joya de Nic to the nub beforehand so if anything catches fire, I can just vomit it out. :barf:

Bob Cordell

Ok, Holy Water and Bandaids made me laugh!
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

Duker511

Ive tried to use the lighter in my truck also. It smoldered and smoked and barely lit the cigar. I wont be trying that again.
Tim

Turboknat

QuoteAstronaut318i - 3/31/2008  10:53 PM

Hard hat, saftey goggles, lab coat, gloves, parental supervision, holy water, band aids...check.

I wont be driving when I use the car cigar lighter, as its technically not "my" car...I'll just be using the car lighter to ignite the stick.

As an additional safety precaution...I wont all day and will smoke another Joya de Nic to the nub beforehand so if anything catches fire, I can just vomit it out. :barf:

It always pays to go prepared.

Astronaut318i

Well, I'm sorry to say that I didnt get to test it out today. Bummer. I even had my ear plugs and helmet and everything. But tomorrow I promise I will light up a cigar with the car lighter!

Astronaut318i

Talk about anticlimatic. It barely singed a small part of my cigar. Maybe I shouldve done it more than once, but...I'm going to say that I was totally underwhelmed by my car's lighter.

I guess you could just toast the foot with it? Because after that I pulled out a match and got a really good light with it...

Turboknat

That sucks.  No flames, no sparks, not even a smudge on your white lab coat.  Oh well, such is the lot for a scientist. :-(

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.