Lighters

Started by bnitch, 07/07/2011 11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnitch

I'm sure this has been brought up before but here goes. The only lighter I have that just keeps working every time is a Vector Pipe lighter. Not perfect for cigars though, very soft flame. So my question is are duel flame or triple flame torch lighters more prone to fail than single flame torch types. I don't want to spend $50 on a lighter that works a week or two. I bought a Iroda heat tool that you could solder with and l let it run out now it just sputters, I've drained it and let it sit with the valve open for a week refilled and no go. Now I know you guys have gone though all this before so let me know what are your favorite and most dependable lighters. Also how many flames work best.    :thanx:

If I did this whats the worst that could happen?

lubrix

I use a duel torch at first,then a single flame for touch-ups.As far a brands of lighters,I will no longer spend allot of money on them.Have found over time that some of the cheapest ones have lasted longer then expensive ones.One single flame torch that came free in a sampler years ago has lived longer then pricy ones.Another thing when they no longer work-toss them without allot of $$$ lost.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

DonM

Ronson Jet Lights coninue to be the best single flame lighter

"The Curmudgeon"

nwb

This is what I use at home:

http://www.harborfreight.com/micro-torch-42099.html

This is what I use when I'm traveling:

http://www.ronsonusa.com/JetLite.aspx

This is what I keep in my car:

http://bcheap.com/tidotoli.html

That is three very dependable lighters for about $20.
Chief of Shaft

gitfiddl

QuoteDonM - 7/7/2011  1:02 PM

:word: But they're getting hard to find.  None of the WalMarts near me carry them any more, nor do the CVS Pharmacies.

I said this in the last lighter discussion we had.  I've ordered several lighter combos from www.buylighters.com.  I've given several of them away as gifts, etc.  Of the 15 or 20 lighters I've got from them, I finally ran into a dud last week. It was one of the older ones.  To the best of my knowledge, all the ones I've given away are still working.

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Jackal

I use this little gem.  Never gets clogged or gives me any kind of problems.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Brlesq

Quotenwb - 7/7/2011  1:08 PM
This is what I use at home:
http://www.harborfreight.com/micro-torch-42099.html

This is what I use when I'm traveling:
http://www.ronsonusa.com/JetLite.aspx

This is what I keep in my car:
http://bcheap.com/tidotoli.html

That is three very dependable lighters for about $20.

Hey, I like that one you keep in the car, Nate.  Coincidentally, I use that same brand, too.  Glad to see that you still have it!! :biggrin:  

I also have some of the free torch lighters that come with special 6-packs of Altadis cigars and find that these work really well.  Example below:

http://www.mikescigars.com/product-details/h-upmann-vintage-cameroon-belicoso-with-lighter
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

BlackIrish

Quotegitfiddl - 7/7/2011  1:11 PM

:word: But they're getting hard to find.  None of the WalMarts near me carry them any more, nor do the CVS Pharmacies.

Another vote for Ronson Jet Lite.  I have a bunch of them  - at home, in car, at work - and the only times that they don't work are when they're out of fuel.

I find them at a local hardware store, and at some CVS and Walmarts.  I buy them whenever I see them.
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

Herfin' Chef

-w-  
(unofficial Man of War)

Stimulating the American economy...One cigar at a time

herfdude

I can definitely tell you what not to buy..... Prometheus lighters are absolute crap. I have 2 & neither one will work for more than 2 months at a time. Prometheus has worked on one of them more than 5 times & finally replaced it & low & behold 2 months later that one quit working also.....

:mad:
"I have made it a rule never to smoke more than one cigar at a time."  Mark Twain

cocon

:word:

Bought two at Wally-World for under $3 each!  Keep one in the garage and one in the truck.  Works good!!  Still old school in a way like to use the good ole wooden kitchen match too.
WOOOOO - Ric Flair

Train, say your prayers, and eat your vitamins - Hulk Hogan

capndutch

QuoteJackal - 7/7/2011  12:17 PM

Wowww!!! Are you lighting cigars or freebasing???

:biggrin:

Herfin' Chef

Quotecapndutch - 7/7/2011  8:02 PM

LMAO.... :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:
-w-  
(unofficial Man of War)

Stimulating the American economy...One cigar at a time

horrido

Use a lotus lighter or a BBQ flexible 6 inch butane igniter don't laugh it works great.
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

Jackal

Quotecapndutch - 7/7/2011  5:02 PM

It gets the job done and, surprisingly, doesn't burn through as much fuel as you would expect.

Toasting the foot has never been easier.  :smoker:

ntanner

looks like you could use it as a lantern if the power goes out Jason.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

billy82

Im a big fan of Xikar because if it stops working for ANY reason they will take your old one and give you a new one, No questios ask.  The only thing with Xikar they can by a  little pricy but very relieable.
But I really liked the name "Wish Stealer". It had a Native American ring to it. -Brlesq

A wise geek once told me that moving up from a daily smoke to a weekly or even bi-monthly smoke would be worth it, if I could learn how to appreciate a really really good cigar. -southernrun
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=billy82

dwig

Quotebilly82 - 7/8/2011  8:20 AM

Im a big fan of Xikar because if it stops working for ANY reason they will take your old one and give you a new one, No questios ask.  The only thing with Xikar they can by a  little pricy but very relieable.

Ditto
You can get some good deals on auctions and daily deals too.
I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say:  Hey look.  That one is shaped like an idiot!"

lowpro75

QuoteJackal - 7/7/2011  8:35 PM

Quotecapndutch - 7/7/2011  5:02 PM

It gets the job done and, surprisingly, doesn't burn through as much fuel as you would expect.

Toasting the foot has never been easier.  :smoker:

I love that lighter and was going to get one before I joined the cigar lounge.  I don't smoke at home in the backyard nearly as often so I wouldn't get much use out of it.  The lounge I go to has one but they lock it up after hours.  I use my Perdomo Thundra Torch Lighter by Vector or a Ronson Jetlight if I'm on the go.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Jackal

That badass lighter is on sale today on the monster

$35 with free shipping

http://www.cigarmonster.com/mashup.cfm

bnitch

Guess I'll have to look around for a Ronson, they've been around for yrs so by now they probable have it figured out. And I like cheap and good, that's a good combo.
I may have found the answer in going through my electronics tools, cost was over $100 but then that was paid for by the Co. for soldering in hard to reach places. A Master Ultratorch UT-100si the tank is as long as my hand and lights every time, just had to remove the soldering tip and have a nice adjustable flame. Defiantly not a pocket lighter, but from my Humidors to the front porch it works. And just been sitting on a shelf for yrs since I quit working.       :cool:

nwb

Quotebnitch - 7/8/2011  11:11 AM

Guess I'll have to look around for a Ronson, they've been around for yrs so by now they probable have it figured out. And I like cheap and good, that's a good combo.
I may have found the answer in going through my electronics tools, cost was over $100 but then that was paid for by the Co. for soldering in hard to reach places. A Master Ultratorch UT-100si the tank is as long as my hand and lights every time, just had to remove the soldering tip and have a nice adjustable flame. Defiantly not a pocket lighter, but from my Humidors to the front porch it works. And just been sitting on a shelf for yrs since I quit working.       :cool:

Watch your eyebrows...
Chief of Shaft

87North

I pretty much use anything that makes fire to light a cigar, but the Ronson is my top choice.
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

bnitch

Yeh the portable soldering iron is a little overkill, I'll look around for a ronson. Thanks all.    :thanx:

Ken Kelley

I love my JetLite but I only have the one left. I also got a Cigar Savor in the Trinidad sampler from the Monster that has really performed will too. I broke down and bought the Bugatti on the Jam a couple of days ago. I like the looks of it and the integrated dual punches too. Plus, it was only $19.50. The reviews on the lighter are complimentary so I hope it lives up to the good words of the reviewers.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.