Cigars and Porto

Started by drexeltpd, 01/30/2009 11:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drexeltpd

The other night I lit up a Cu-Avana Intenso and had a couple small glasses of Port Wine.  Great combo between the two.  The intenso had a lot of full-body and spice but the deep flavor of the wine complimented the full-body of the cigar and sweetness added complexity with the spice.

mountedshriner

I think port and cigars go together well. Especially a nice spicy stick as one compliments the other.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Bob Cordell

I'm thinking of trying a Port wine this weekend. Would a CT or Maduro wrapper go better with that? I have really flipped over the CAO Black I had the other night. That one is quickly climbing up my list of favorites, I cant wait till my next one!

:smoker:
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

Duker511

The only alcohol Ive been drinking lately is wine and the occational port with a full flavored maduro cigar. I really like an AF 8-5-8 maduro with a good glass of vintage, or even a good quality Tawny. I dont really care for the taste of cheap port. Last week my dad gave me a bottle of Remariz Vintage 1994 that I wanted to keep for awhile so I went and bought a bottle of Ramos Pinto 2000 to drink now, however I think Im going to keep the Ramos and drink the Remariz.... :confused:  I also bought a bottle of Jim Beam Black, the chart at the liquor store said the JB Black has a toffee and tobacco aroma so I figured it may go good with cigars, We'll see!!! :drinking:
Tim

Bob Cordell

What would be the average cost of a decent Port? I dont really understand all I know about wines.

Never mind about the price, gimme a couple of  decent brands that arent that pricey!

mountedshriner

Here is a very good port: Taylor's Tawny Porto 10 Years Old. About $25-$30 a bottle and would be great w/CAO Black! :bigthumbs:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Bob Cordell

Hmmmmmmm, I was thinking of spending a 13 or a 11 dollar bill...25 bucks huh?

Maybe I better stick to something in a box or Mogan-David...

stogie_foggie

Heres one you might be able to get for around $15.  I'm no port wine drinker, so I can't vouch for you.  

NV Ferreira Tawny Porto  (from Portugal)

There's plenty of red fruit character in this young, robust wine that is bright but still has richness. The tangy palate concludes with warm caramel and a hint of lemon peel. Great value.

Note, I didn't write that.  I'll stick to my microbrews and Kentucky Whiskey. :biggrin:
"... watch how much evil, which we call crime..."  - Ray Lewis

BlackIrish

Port and cigars are a delicious combination. Check out your local liquor store - I'm willing to bet you can find some nonvintage ports in the $12 range. Taylor Fladgate and Sandemans are two reliable brands.
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

junglepete

I've always wanted to do some port and cigars and have spoken about here in past threads but have yet to make it happen. I'm on it now!  :biggrin:
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

SenorPablo

Cigars and a glass of tawny is one of my favorite combos.  The Taylor Fladgate and Grahams is what i usually have, although I haven't bought it forever.  I really like it in the summer out on the deck.  I usually go for the 10 year or longer.  You can really taste the difference.

In any case I've had plenty of cheap port that was just as enjoyable, but i can't remember the names as i usually just buy what might be on sale at the time.  Whatever you do, go Tawny, rather than red IMO.  I really don't care for the reds..just too fruity.  Tawny tends to be a dryer flavor.
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

Duker511

QuoteBob Cordell - 1/30/2009  4:01 PM

Hmmmmmmm, I was thinking of spending a 13 or a 11 dollar bill...25 bucks huh?

Maybe I better stick to something in a box or Mogan-David...

I just spent almost $60 on the bottle I bought, just like most alcohol its worth the extra money. With Port, I really dont care for cheaper bottles, it tastes like overpowering wine. A good vintage port is a whole other thing, its hard to explain but it tastes like a real good berry flavored brandy, or a vineyard on a cool Summer night at dusk in the south of Italy. :-(  With the cheap stuff its like they dump some grain alcohol in some cheap wine and bottle it. Its like if someone told you they wanted to try a fine cigar, would you suggest a Swisher Sweet or an Opus X.(or an ERDM! :biggrin: )
Tim

mountedshriner

I have tasted a lot of Ports as they have become quite popular with the local wine makers lately, at least since 2000. I must agree with Tim on the quality aspect of Port. I have NEVER tasted a good "cheap" Port. It tastes like a combination of grain alcohol, cranberry juice and some cheap frozen berries thrown in for authenticity. Drink the good stuff, you won't regret it.   :bright:

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.