Jack Daniel's

Started by akira, 05/18/2009 11:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akira

OK, so I just saw a commercial that showed the Jack Daniel's label showing 80 proof.  Does anyone remember the 86 proof that they used to be?  When did they water down the mix?  I don't drink all that much Jack anymore, but I used to enjoy it quite a bit when I was in college and recently when I had some at a local bar, I noticed that it didn't have the same kick that it used to.  I just figured it was the bar that watered down the liquor, but now, I'm thinking that this JD initiated change is the actual cause.... I just don't get why they would make this change.  :confused:
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.'" -Jack Handy

BlackIrish

This was a profoundly disappointing change for a company that tells us that "some things just never change. And shouldn't. This is the old-time whiskey made as our fathers made it."

As you might imagine, there was quite a controversy in the recreational drinking community.  

http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/issues/03-05/03_05_jack_daniel.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2004-09-29-jack-daniels_x.htm
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

Bob Cordell

Heh-heh, they make that stuff right here in TN and we dont drink it. Give me Turkey or Jim Beam anyday. That charcoal flavor turns my stomach!

Blech!
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

Jackal

I know that for a spirit to be sold  in some countries (Northern Ireland comes to mind) its alcohol content must not exceed 40%.  

Bourbon (which Jack is not) by Federal Standards is required to be no greater than 80 Proof.

I don't know if either of these facts is relevant, but I would guess that to make it easier to market the product internationally (and maybe to compete with the international sale of bourbon) Jack may have dropped its alcohol content.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

mountedshriner

I drank Jack for many, many years. Now, it doesn't even remotely taste like the Jack of old. I have not had a drink of, or purchased a bottle of JD in quite sometime. Now it's Woodford & James for me.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

BlackIrish

I know that some states have laws limiting liquor to 80 proof, too. I guess the Jack Daniels folks decided it was easier to make just one variety at 80 proof rather than 2.

But I agree about the taste - not what it used to be. Knob Creek or Jim Beam became my drink some time ago.
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

Hot Stuff x

QuoteJackal - 5/19/2009 9:03 AM I know that for a spirit to be sold in some countries (Ireland comes to mind) its alcohol content must not exceed 40%. Bourbon (which Jack is not) by Federal Standards is required to be no greater than 80 Proof. I don't know if either of these facts is relevant, but I would guess that to make it easier to market the product internationally (and maybe to compete with the international sale of bourbon) Jack may have dropped its alcohol content.

You are incorrect with regard to 80 proof.  The standard is 80% alcohol, which is 160 proof (!). 

Many bourbons are higher than 80 proof--

Bulleit (90 proof except in Australia and UK)

Knob Creek (100proof)

Maker's Mark (90 proof regular, 101.5 proof gold)

Jim Beam Black (86 proof)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_whiskey#Legal_requirements

LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

mhuss

I used to drink quite a bit of JD when I wouldn't be drinking beer.  But a lot of other better whiskeys and whatnot have taken its place.  I find that Knob Creek and Makers Mark is much better these days.

stogie_foggie

I used to drink Jack Daniels (and still do on rare occasions).  I'm more of a Kentucky bourbon guy, my favorites are Eagle Rare 10yr and Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot B - both good $30-40 bourbons.

I'm with Bob - Tennessee whiskey tends to have too much charcoal flavors.... not my cup of tea.
"... watch how much evil, which we call crime..."  - Ray Lewis

Jackal

You are incorrect with regard to 80 proof.  The standard is 80% alcohol, which is 160 proof (!).Â

Oops, my goof there. :shamebag:

However, the 80 proof laws in Northern Ireland I am pretty sure about.  When I was there last time (about 10 years ago), I couldn't get any high alcohol containing whiskey (I think that they were afraid that someone would light it and throw it at British troops).  The Bushmills distillery made higher proof whiskeys, but could only export them.  The local stuff had to be lower alcohol containing.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

stogie_foggie

QuoteJackal - 5/19/2009  11:15 AM

You are incorrect with regard to 80 proof.  The standard is 80% alcohol, which is 160 proof (!).Â

Oops, my goof there. :shamebag:

However, the 80 proof laws in Northern Ireland I am pretty sure about.  When I was there last time (about 10 years ago), I couldn't get any high alcohol containing whiskey (I think that they were afraid that someone would light it and throw it at British troops).  The Bushmills distillery made higher proof whiskeys, but could only export them.  The local stuff had to be lower alcohol containing.

Which would explain why I when I was in Ireland, we sat there all night drinking Redbreast (the best damned pot-stilled whisky made) and while drunk, not falling down in the gutter)

mountedshriner

Hey David...Is Redbreast available in the US? :?:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

stogie_foggie

Quotemountedshriner - 5/19/2009  12:09 PM

It is here in Colorado.  A place near my house sells it for about $47.  I keep meaning to buy a bottle, but good ole American Bourbons keep getting in the way....

mountedshriner

Quotestogie_foggie - 5/19/2009  11:13 AM

Quotemountedshriner - 5/19/2009  12:09 PM

It is here in Colorado.  A place near my house sells it for about $47.  I keep meaning to buy a bottle, but good ole American Bourbons keep getting in the way....

I would like to try it...I am not a fan of Knob Creek or Makers Mark but like Crown and Woodford and James. I love this stuff: http://www.wittyswine.com/sku04175.html?utm_source=Google%20Products&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=CROWN%20ROYAL%20CASK%2016
but can't afford it!! May have to research some Redbreast :shades:

stogie_foggie

If you like Jamesons or Bushmill, you will love Redbreast.   Here is a good start:  
http://www.accidentalhedonist.com/index.php/2007/10/09/whiskey_tasting_notes_redbreast_12_year_

I"ve had the Woodford Reserve... good. I saw a bottle of the Woodford Reserve Four Grain this weekend at my local store for $90.  Awesone stuff, but I can't justify that much for a bottle of booze.

mountedshriner

Quotestogie_foggie - 5/19/2009  11:36 AM

If you like Jamesons or Bushmill, you will love Redbreast.   Here is a good start:  
http://www.accidentalhedonist.com/index.php/2007/10/09/whiskey_tasting_notes_redbreast_12_year_

I"ve had the Woodford Reserve... good. I saw a bottle of the Woodford Reserve Four Grain this weekend at my local store for $90.  Awesone stuff, but I can't justify that much for a bottle of booze.

Thanks Dvaid, will do my homework! :cheers:

podman28

Quotestogie_foggie - 5/19/2009  1:36 PM

If you can find A.H. Hirsh either 16 or 20 year old they are worth a whirl. Pricy but oh so good. I also like the Rip Van Winkle stuff.

Twinky

Im a bit of a Jack fan myself.
"Smoking cigars don't make you cool. Being cool makes you smoke cigars" -Me

Hot Stuff x

QuoteJackal - 5/20/2009 3:15 AM You are incorrect with regard to 80 proof. The standard is 80% alcohol, which is 160 proof (!). Oops, my goof there. :shamebag: However, the 80 proof laws in Northern Ireland I am pretty sure about. When I was there last time (about 10 years ago), I couldn't get any high alcohol containing whiskey (I think that they were afraid that someone would light it and throw it at British troops). The Bushmills distillery made higher proof whiskeys, but could only export them. The local stuff had to be lower alcohol containing.

That's why in my post above it says Bulleit Bourbon is not 90 proof in the UK and Australia.  Due to the laws there they sell it at 80 proof. 

I'm told the 80 proof Bulleit is made in the UK for the UK and Aussie market :confused:

Anyway, sucks for them to get the watered down version.  They should get 10% off the price ;-)

LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

akira

I guess I'll just be moving on to other brands.  If they can't stick to the tradition that they have and want to water down their drinks so it isn't even recognizable anymore, that's their choice and I'll make mine to not buy their stuff anymore.  I tried it again, and the flavor just isn't right.  I even tried it in a jack and coke and it just tasted like flat coke.  No kick whatsoever.  Thanks for the suggestions on some new brands I've never heard of.  I take a look around my area to see if they carry them.
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.'" -Jack Handy

stogie_foggie

If you mixed my beloved Van Winkle 12yr bourbon with coke, I would be very sad.   :sad:  :sad:

As far as bourbon and coke, I think Wild Turkey.  If you spend $20, you can get a bourbon called Buffalo Trace.  Decent straight, but makes a good Bourbon and Coke.  Just my idea.

Then again, if you are at a bar or a tailgate, any booze will do..... ;-)

Samhain2000

Gentleman Jack is pretty good.
A cigar is like a gun, you never know when you'll need one.

podman28

Quotestogie_foggie - 5/22/2009  1:56 PM

If you mixed my beloved Van Winkle 12yr bourbon with coke, I would be very sad.   :sad:  :sad:

As far as bourbon and coke, I think Wild Turkey.  If you spend $20, you can get a bourbon called Buffalo Trace.  Decent straight, but makes a good Bourbon and Coke.  Just my idea.

Then again, if you are at a bar or a tailgate, any booze will do..... ;-)

I consider mixing a fine bourbon like Van Winkle 12yr sacrilegious. Buffalo Trace is not bad for a mixer but usually if I am mixing I will just use Jim Beam. In my mind fine alcohols should never be mixed and enjoyed as they are made. For mixing just use the basic stuff.

lowpro75

Agree that you should not be mixing high end liquor.  What a waste.  I remember my friend in college offered one of the freshman pledges some of his high end bourbon.  The kid asked for some coke to mix it with and got the verbal lashing of a lifetime.  It was pretty funny.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Twinky

I think its ok to mix the good stuff, as long as you mix it with sme thing of the same quality. Why mix fine burbon with coke when you can mix it with more fine burbon.
"Smoking cigars don't make you cool. Being cool makes you smoke cigars" -Me

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.