Lighter Upgrade

Started by Hound10, 12/03/2009 10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound10

So - I am a Zippo guy. Have collected a few over the years and the last one i received was the wedding gift from my wife on our big day.....Awwwwwwwwww.

Anyways, she loves the fact that i carry that one with me everyday, light everything with it, etc etc etc. Now i have a dilemma.

I smoke about 75% of my cigars on the golf course. The old school zippo gets the job done but it ain't the easiest way to do it, so i need a torch lighter. But........i want to try and upgrade my old casing to a torch lighter.

I see there is a Z Plus version of a Zippo torch insert but it has received not so great reviews and is only a single torch. Anybody know another avenue i can try and/or if they have a Z Plus insert and whether that works good or not? It's only like $9 so that scares me too, figure i get what i pay for on that one.

Love to hear that there's a triple torch insert out there somewhere.....
"Smoking is one of the leading causes of statistics"

FNA

All the triple flame lighters I have seen configure the jets in a triangle.  I can't see that fitting under a Zippo cap.

I've used one of the cheap Zippo inserts for about a year, I don't have any problem with it.  I have read people concerned with fuel capacity, but since the body of the lighter is somewhat translucent, one can see when it is running low.

Hound10

QuoteFNA - 12/3/2009  10:41 AM

All the triple flame lighters I have seen configure the jets in a triangle.  I can't see that fitting under a Zippo cap.

I've used one of the cheap Zippo inserts for about a year, I don't have any problem with it.  I have read people concerned with fuel capacity, but since the body of the lighter is somewhat translucent, one can see when it is running low.

The single torch gets the job done?

FNA

Sure a single torch works fine.  How many flames you got on your Zippo?

I don't really care for the multi-flame lighters.  I've had double which I definitely didn't like (the in line config didn't work well for me) and triple which is OK by me, but I don't see it as having any particular advantage over a single.

I keep the triple in my truck so I don't actually use that in the wind.  I do light lots of cigars outdoors with a single torch.

Hound10

QuoteFNA - 12/3/2009  10:49 AM

Sure a single torch works fine.  How many flames you got on your Zippo?

I don't really care for the multi-flame lighters.  I've had double which I definitely didn't like (the in line config didn't work well for me) and triple which is OK by me, but I don't see it as having any particular advantage over a single.

I keep the triple in my truck so I don't actually use that in the wind.  I do light lots of cigars outdoors with a single torch.

Awesome - thanks for that info.

HAHA - just one torch on the old Zippo, but it struggles out on the 13th fairway to get er going!!

Maybe I'll give the Z Plus a shot and see what happens. Worst case scenario I'm out $9 i guess. Is it he Z Plus brand that you have?

nwb

I've had an Z Plus insert for a couple of years now, and it still works well, even outside.  Two things to remember:

1. The fuel tank is small, so make sure you have plenty of triple refined butane.  
2. Also, I bleed my lighter every time I refill it  - this seems to keep it in good working order.

I have been extremely pleased with how well it has held up, too.

nwb
Chief of Shaft

Hound10

Quotenwb - 12/3/2009  10:55 AM

I've had an Z Plus insert for a couple of years now, and it still works well, even outside.  Two things to remember:

1. The fuel tank is small, so make sure you have plenty of triple refined butane.  
2. Also, I bleed my lighter every time I refill it  - this seems to keep it in good working order.

nwb

Reccomendations on what brand fuel works best?

stogie_foggie

I have a Z plus lighter insert as well.  Always works, even outside in windy weather.  As everyone else said, it does not hold a lot of fuel but I know that ahead of time.  Plus, I like using my Zippo.... they are one of the coolest things ever invented.
"... watch how much evil, which we call crime..."  - Ray Lewis

Hound10

Quotestogie_foggie - 12/3/2009  11:15 AM

Plus, I like using my Zippo.... they are one of the coolest things ever invented.

100% AGREED

nwb

QuoteHound10 - 12/3/2009  12:01 PM

nwb

I can't for the life of me remember what brand I use, but I think any butane will work - just make sure it is triple refined.  I believe there is a Blazer triple refined.

nwb
Chief of Shaft

FNA

I think it is probably Z-Plus, but I don't remember.  Bought it at auction for $9 or less.

I recommend you try Vector fuel.  I first came across this brand at local lounge, it was the 'house' fill.  I think they sell it at Holt's too.

Triple filtered is for the dilletantes - this brand is "Quintuple Filtered".  The biggest plus is that it is about a third of the price of the "name-brands" like Colibri, Zippo, Xikar.

mountedshriner

I use triple refined Colibri fuel. Works great in all of my lighters. :biggrin:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

BlackIrish

I certainly understand Zippo love, but I'm a big fan of my Ronson JetLite.  It's a single torch, but it gets the job done very handily.  And it costs $2.49 at WalMart - which means I can spend my money on cigars, not a fancy lighter.  And I don't care if I lose it.
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

DonM

QuoteBlackIrish - 12/3/2009  2:41 PM

I certainly understand Zippo love, but I'm a big fan of my Ronson JetLite.  It's a single torch, but it gets the job done very handily.  And it costs $2.49 at WalMart - which means I can spend my money on cigars, not a fancy lighter.  And I don't care if I lose it.

I agree 100%, they are inexpensive and work well.  I have a few of them and have not had one let me down yet.  

"The Curmudgeon"

Bafil

I'm also in the market for a new lighter. I've been using cheap bics and matches but I need something reliable. I broke down and tried a ronson jetlite but it won't stay lit long enough to get anything burning. I think its a bad one because everyone raves about how well they work. Any other suggestions for a good lighter.
Thanks
F!L
d:)

lowpro75

QuoteBafil - 12/3/2009  6:23 PM

I'm also in the market for a new lighter. I've been using cheap bics and matches but I need something reliable. I broke down and tried a ronson jetlite but it won't stay lit long enough to get anything burning. I think its a bad one because everyone raves about how well they work. Any other suggestions for a good lighter.
Did you turn the flame up to the max?
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Bafil

I've tried many different positions on the adjustment and it will not stay lit that long. I even purged it and refueled it to see if that would help but no change. It lights then the flame just goes out in less then a second but it still hisses meaning fuel is coming out.
Thanks
F!L
d:)

nwb

QuoteFNA - 12/3/2009  1:15 PM

I think it is probably Z-Plus, but I don't remember.  Bought it at auction for $9 or less.

I recommend you try Vector fuel.  I first came across this brand at local lounge, it was the 'house' fill.  I think they sell it at Holt's too.

Triple filtered is for the dilletantes - this brand is "Quintuple Filtered".  The biggest plus is that it is about a third of the price of the "name-brands" like Colibri, Zippo, Xikar.

That is the brand! Vector is what I use.

nwb
Chief of Shaft

Cigary

QuoteHound10 - 12/3/2009  11:01 AM

nwb

I use 5x refined butane from Vector or Lava and never, ever, have an issue with lighters.  I've even stopped purging the lighters I do have and never have a problem.  I've got a ronson lighter that I can use as a spot weld almost and my other lighters that I used to have issues with,,,no more.  5x fuel is where it's at and for a dollar more is the best investment for lighter fuel there is.

gitfiddl

QuoteBafil - 12/3/2009  8:34 PM

I've tried many different positions on the adjustment and it will not stay lit that long. I even purged it and refueled it to see if that would help but no change. It lights then the flame just goes out in less then a second but it still hisses meaning fuel is coming out.

I'd say it's a legit defect then.  Purging should have solved it otherwise.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

kylepwhalen

I know you say you wanna stick with zippo but I've now gone through a few colibris and was sick of paying big bucks for lighters to blow out. So i went and bought a Ronson JetLite from walgreens (or was it CVS?) for $3. Havent had a single problem with it yet. It's great. And it is single flame but lights my cigars just fine outdoors. Might want to consider picking one up-$3 won't kill ya and it cant hurt to have an extra one laying around somewhere (maybe in the golf bag in case your zippo runs out of fuel)

akira

I have a several lighters from colibri, xikar, ronson, and other miscellaneous cheapies, but my favorite is definitely the xikar enigma lighter.  It is a dual flame and works extremely well.  I also keep a ronson jetlight in my golf bag.
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.'" -Jack Handy

NES Tek

Quoteakira - 12/4/2009  11:21 AM

I have a several lighters from colibri, xikar, ronson, and other miscellaneous cheapies, but my favorite is definitely the xikar enigma lighter.  It is a dual flame and works extremely well.  I also keep a ronson jetlight in my golf bag.

I'll second that. I really like the enigma as well.
"A good cigar is like tasting a good wine: you smell it, you taste it, you look at it, you feel it - you can even hear it. It satisfies all the senses." - Anonymous

"You play five years in a Jimmy Buffett cover band and see what your freakin' wardrobe looks like, butthole!" - gitfiddl

wescat

Quoteakira - 12/4/2009  1:21 PM

I agree, I've gotten ~ 10 lighters in this or that package deal, they are all unreliable as hell. My Xicar Enigma is very reliable, it has a large adjustment wheel (no mini screwdriver needed) and I like the fuel sight glass as well, nice touch.

I also use a Ronson Jetlight, I prefer it for straightening a crooked burn over any other device.
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

Hound10

well i went an ordered the Z Plus insert - found it for $8 - so we'll see how that goes. After some of the banter here i'm feeling more comfortable with giving it a shot.

Now to find some Vector fuel online in Canada - that's proving to be the difficult part!!

Thanks for the help Gents!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.